- If money or location were irrelevant - what would your ultimate dream job be?
- You have just won a competition for an all expenses paid trip to anywhere in the world - 1 month - you get to choose - where would you go?
- If you could join the Board and direct efforts of one charitable organisation, which one would you choose?
- Who do you most admire?
- What did you do in the last year that you were incredibly proud of?
- What would you do if you knew nobody would judge you?
- You have won $10 million. What is the first thing you would do?
- What did you want to be when you were growing up?
- You get the chance to train as a teacher - what would you teach?
- You have a month at a cottage in the mountains - no telephone, no internet, no neighbours, no shops - what would you do?
- Your friends are asked to say what they like about you in a confidential survey - what do you think they would say
- What made you smile today?
There was the usual pen chewing and distractions to deal with of course, and then I attempted the first question . . . and then the second . . . and then there was no stopping me. And I realized a common theme was emerging – what I wanted my life to look like if I had the courage to get over my fears.
And the result was amazing. I came home on a cloud that day because for the first time I had described me as the person I honestly wanted to be. I felt happy just thinking about it.
I still carry that page around today. I looked at it last week. My life has moved on but the things I talked about are still relevant today. I like to think I have taken some risks in life and done some stuff which has inspired me but still scares me. Like starting this website for instance.
Take some time today, or even right now. Answer some of the questions – instinctively and honestly. And start to dream. Because we only have one shot at this big, bold and beautiful time on earth we have been given.
Dare to live a life that scares you a little!